Join us at a’23xSD, San Diego’s Annual Architecture Conference!
Prepare for “Designing Our Resilient Future,” a celebration of creativity, sustainability, and San Diego’s architectural excellence.
Explore educational programs, gain experts’ insights, and earn up to 5 HSW CEU credits, including new Zero Net Carbon Design (ZNCD) mandatory education requirements.
Thursday, September 28, 2023
3:30 pm – 8:30 pm (PT)
Title: Strategies for the Decarbonization of Universities, Colleges, and Schools. Case Study: Southwest College – Instructional Building.
Speakers: Amanuel Woldemikael, Thomas Walborn from Gensler San Diego, and Robert Fagnant from Syska Hennessy.
Description: Achieving net zero carbon impact is one of the major challenges facing the design community when planning for new or remodeled buildings and campuses, requiring a fundamental shift in our approach to design. This presentation will explore and identify the various elements of decarbonization and the steps we can take to create a path toward carbon neutrality. A complete understanding of the metrics that drive the design process and a holistic view of the environmental impact of a new building is required.
- Understand and define terms like greenhouse gas emission (GHG), embodied carbon, operational carbon, and decarbonization related to the construction industry.
- Understand the three scopes to reduce emissions.
- Explore the different scopes in a building project lifecycle for reducing carbon footprint by removing fossil fuels and applying new technologies and logistics.
- Recognize the various decarbonization strategies used at the case study complex.
- Understand and pledge a commitment to play a role in the process of decarbonization in the construction industry in general and in educational buildings in particular.
Park & Market,
1100 Market Street,
San Diego, CA, 92101
To register, click here